VaR

llti20

VaR

Postby llti20 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 am

Hi

In Puting VaR to Work, there is a somewhat strange convention of calling the % delta "delta" and the delta that I am more familiar with "dollar delta" or "$ delta". Is this convention used on the test? It is pretty obvious that if they tell me the delta is 5.5 that they are referring to percentage delta (a 1% drop in the price of the stock = 5.5% drop in the price of a call) but this is the first I have ever heard of actually using % delta.

Any clarification you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

vighnesh.mehta
Good Student

VaR

Postby vighnesh.mehta » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 am

Delta is calculated as the percentage change in call price divided percentage change in the stock price. This equation is used to interpret the VAR for an option given a change in the stock price. So in this case the delta is useful when you have to interpret the VAR for an option given the change in stock price, since the delta is calculated based on percentage.

On the other hand delta is a ratio and is calculated as the change in price of the call option to the change in price of the underlying asset. It is nothing but change in the price of the option give the change in price of the stock. The delta calculated here is use to hedge the portfolio of options and the stock.

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.