Quants Revision

pankaj.pankster

Quants Revision

Postby pankaj.pankster » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi ,

The explanation is not clear for the questions from the revision deck .These are question number 16 , 22 and 32

Consider two stocks A and B. Assume their annual returns are jointly normally distributed, the
marginal distribution of each stock has mean 2% and standard deviation 10%, and the correlation is
0.9. What is the expected annual return of stock A if the annual return of stock B is 3%?
A. 2.9%
B. 2%
C. 1.1%
D. 4.7%

Which of the following statements about the linear regression of the return of a portfolio over the
return of its benchmark presented below are correct?
Portfolio parameter Value
Beta 1.25
Alpha 0.26
Coefficient of determination 0.66
Standard deviation of error 2.42
I. The correlation is 0.71
II. 34% of the variation in the portfolio return is explained by variation in the benchmark return
III. The portfolio is the dependent variable
IV. For an estimated portfolio return of 12%, the confidence interval at 95% is [7.16%;16.84%]
A. II and IV
B. III and IV
C. I, II and III
D. II, III and IV

John is forecasting a stock’s performance in 2010 conditional on the state of the economy of the country in
which the firm is based. He divides the economy’s performance into three categories of “GOOD”, “NEUTRAL”
and “POOR” and the stock’s performance into three categories of “increase”, “constant” and “decrease”. He
estimates:
• The probability that the state of the economy is GOOD is 20%. If the state of the economy is GOOD, the
probability that the stock price increases is 80% and the probability that the stock price decreases is 10%.
• The probability that the state of the economy is NEUTRAL is 30%. If the state of the economy is
• NEUTRAL, the probability that the stock price increases is 50% and the probability that the stock price
• decreases is 30%.
• If the state of the economy is POOR, the probability that the stock price increases is 15% and the probability
that the stock price is 70%.
Billy, his supervisor, asks him to estimate the probability that the state of the economy is NEUTRAL given that
the stock performance is constant. John’s best assessment of that probability is closest to:
A. 15.5%
B. 19.6%
C. 20.0%
D. 38.7%

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Re: Quants Revision

Postby edupristine » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:51 am

Hi Pankaj

Answer 1.
The first step, is to find the Beta of Stock A with respect to Stock B.
Beta (A) = correlation * std(A)/std(B) = 0.9*10%/10% = 0.9

Now, Return A = Avg A + Beta(A)*[(Return(B) - Avg B]
Return A = 2% + 0.9*(3%-2%)
= 2.9%
the explanation is given below
slope or beta(A with respect to B) is
Slope (A regressed on B) = Beta (A with respect to B) = Covariance(A,B) /Variance(A,B) = correlation(A,B)*StdDev(A)*StdDev(B)/Variance(B) = correlation(A,B)*StdDev(A)/StdDev(B).
Slope (A regressed on B) = 0.9*10%/10% = 0.9
A(i) = intercept + slope*B(i) = 0.2% + 0.9*3%; i.e., this is the regression
A(i) = E[A|B] = A(i) = intercept + slope*B(i) = 0.2% + 0.9*3%
so the calculation is E[A|B=3%] = 0.2% + 0.9*3% = 2.9%

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.