FRM 1 Quant Type 1 Error

Aegis.Sameerdutta

FRM 1 Quant Type 1 Error

Postby Aegis.Sameerdutta » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:08 am

Suppose the level of significance decreases from 10% to 5%. Which one of the following statements holds true about hypothesis testing?
The chances of a null hypothesis getting rejected when it is actually true become less.
The probability of making a type I error decreases.
The probability of making a type I error increases.
It becomes tougher to accept a null hypothesis when it is actually true.

Choose one answer.

a. Both iii and iv Correct
b. Only i Incorrect
c. Only iv Incorrect
d. Both i and ii Incorrect
The correct answer is A
Sol: When the level of significance decreases the confidence level increases and hence it gets tougher to accept a null hypothesis thus increasing chances of making type 1 error
Incorrect

YOUR ANSWER seems to be incorrect as if ALPHA or significance level decreases, so would type 1 error, its mentioned the other way round... pls help ASAP...

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Re: FRM 1 Quant Type 1 Error

Postby edupristine » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:13 am

Hi Aegis

The higher the significance level, the higher the power of the test. If you increase the significance level, you reduce the region of acceptance. As a result, you are more likely to reject the null hypothesis. This means you are less likely to accept the null hypothesis when it is false
less likely to make a Type II error. Hence, the power of the test is increased.

Aegis.Sameerdutta

Postby Aegis.Sameerdutta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:14 am

then your initial answer is still incorrect.. pls check and respond.

Significance level or Alpha or Type 1 error decreases and in correct options it is stated probability of type 1 error increases

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Postby edupristine » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Aegis

1st option is incorrect, as in this case
The chances of a null hypothesis getting rejected when it is actually true become less.
The probability of making a type I error decreases.
hence the correct answer is d

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.