Probability Question

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Re: Probability Question

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 pm

I do not understand why we have to take the probability of transferring from HNI to LNI
It is clearly mentioned in the question
• One instrument from HNI is transferred to LNI portfolio.
• ''Now'' Jensen selects an instrument from LNI

So we need to calculate the probability after the instrument is transferred

This case is similar to
Bag 1 containing 5 red and 7 blue balls and bag 2 containing 6R and 11 B balls

Bag 2 depends on bag 1 in that the quantity being transferred and bag 1 is independent of bag 2 for the question asked.
I believe the answer shd be 6/18 + 7/18
=13/18

Am I missing something here? o.O

Tags:

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Re: Probability Question

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes I do see that I have missed out on the weights.

However I havnt "doubled" the probability in that case it would be simply (13/18)/2.

Also I am unable to understand intuitively why is this "taking cases and solving approach" failing over here.
Is this approach not valid for mutually exhaustive events?
like either case 1 will happen i.e. red ball is transferred or case 2 i.e. blue ball is transferred and these are transferred with a sure probability of "1" in each of the two cases individually.
So their weights should be "1"

I know its a silly question to ask but I am unable to get thru this one clearly.

Kindly help.

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.