Futures price and expected future spot price

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Futures price and expected future spot price

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 am

Futures price is an unbiased estimator of futures spot price in absence of systematic risk.
When the return from asset is positively corre;ated with mkt positive systematic risk, hence more compensation reqd by investor than Rf(risk free rate)
consider a future on stock indices...
positive correlation with the underlying hence positive systematic risk
Let q be the return calc as a percentage of income as dividends...
then investor in stock index ould require more than (Rf-q) compensation for bearing postive systematic risk...
This would mean that futures price in case of a stock index understates the expected spot price because of the formula F0=S0*exp(r-q)T..So my futures price would always go up hence this argument shows that I should always benefit in a stock index if I hold a long position hich obviously cannot be true,else everybody will make profit by holding a long posn in futures on index...
What am I missing?
Anticipating a reply...
Thnx...
Do let me know if my question is not absolutely clear...

Also how is futures price below CMP= Normal backwardation?
We know that futures price below "Expected spot price" is Normal Backwardation...

Tags:

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Re: Futures price and expected future spot price

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:14 am

I know that the formula gives the non arbitrage price...So If I calculate F0 using this formula it will always understate the F0 which is there in the ticker in real world market because that F0 has systematic risk compensation included right?

Can you be more elaborate on the first paragraph by giving me an example from real life...
Say Nifty fut (march delivery) is trading at 5660.20 today...I go long in a Nifty future for march call because I believe feb future won't be good as clearance will be on last thursday i.e. 24/02
so my F0( given by ticker)=5660.20 right?
today's S0= 5607...If I calculate F0 using the risk free rate that SBI gives me F0 will be different from the F0 that is given by the ticker.

If no market risk was present then Nifty will rise to "F0 calculated by me using the Rf given by SBI on a principal of 5607" from 5607( today's close i.e. 21/02), right?
but since market risk is present so F0 is 5660.20
Am I getting all the concepts correctly here...Do tell me If my question is not clear...because this is confusing me...I need to understand what I am learning else FRM becomes just another certificate exam..Hence my questions might seem a bit silly but they serve as a way of giving a solid base to me before I take off...
Thank you!

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Can you plz tell me which part of the question is not clear or the whole question is not clear. Basically I wanted to ask if we can use these formulas F0=S0*....
in real world stock markets...and If yes then how as in do arbitrageurs really use these type of formulas to determine arbitrage opportunities in real world markets...Suppose I trade in Nifty futures daily..Is this formula of help to me somehow?

T-Bill rate is used a s risk free rate for all the countries? ( I thought only US uses T-Bill or is it that India has its own T-Bills ?)

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:44 am

Thank you

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.