Duration

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Duration

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Pls explain:

With LIBOR at 4%, a manager wants to increase the duration of his portfolio. Which of the following securities should he acquire to increase the duration of his portfolio the most?
Choose one answer.
a. A 10-year reverse floater that pays 8%- LIBOR, payable annually
b. A 10-year reverse floater that pays 12%- 2×LIBOR, payable annually
c. A 10-year floater that pays LIBOR, payable annually
d. A 10-year fixed rate bond carrying a coupon of 4% payable annually

Pristine Solution: The answer is a 10-year reverse floater that pays 12%- 2×LIBOR, payable annually. The duration of a floater is about zero. The duration of a 10-year regular bond is about 9 years. The first reverse floater has a duration of about 2 × 9 = 18 years, the second, 3 × 9 = 27 years.

My qn: How the duration is calculated for 10 year reverse floater?

Tags:

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Re: Duration

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I got the ans that Inverse floaters with leverage of 1 is having twice the duration of the equivalent coupon bond.

However Thanks!

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Suresh,

A) Consider a regular coupon bond. Say its maturity is 10 years and it has a coupon of 8%. Lets say that its duration is 9 (a measure of risk).

This bond can be decomposed into 2 parts: LIBOR and 8%-LIBOR for half the face value each and sold separately.
Basically a floater and a reverse floater.
Now, the floater has a duration of Zero.
Lets say that the inverse floater has a duration of 'X'.
Now, the risk of the sum of the two bonds should equal to that of the fixed coupon bond
To find X:
9 = 0/2 + X/2
X=18.
The duration of this inverse floater is 18 years.

B) Now lets take another bond, say a 10 year bond with a 12% coupon. Lets say its duration is again 9 years.

This bond can be decomposed into 3 bonds, with each bond having 1/3 of the original bond's face value:
i) LIBOR (duration 0)
ii) LIBOR (duration 0)
iii) 12%-2*LIBOR (duration Y)

Now, 9 = 0/3+0/3+Y/3
Y=3*9=27
The duration of this inverse floater is 27 years

I hope this helps 8-)

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:09 am

Awesome explanation.

You made things very clear and easy :)

Thanks a lot!

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.