VaR

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

VaR

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Pls explain:

If portfolio A has a VaR of 100 and portfolio B has a VaR of 200, then the VaR of the portfolio C = A + B (perhaps under nonnormal conditions):
Choose one answer.
a. Will certainly be smaller than or equal to 300
b. Will be exactly equal to 300
c. Can be greater or smaller than 300
d. Will be greater than 300

Pristine Solution: Will certainly be smaller than or equal to 300. You cannot just add tail observations without knowing the distribution, and even then it takes some work.

My Qn: VaR does not follow the subadditivity. So how can we be sure that Portfolio VaR will certainly be smaller than the assets of the portfolio??

Tags:

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Re: VaR

Postby content.pristine » Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi Suresh,

The answer would be less than 300 for correlation less than 1. Only if the correlation between the two is equal to 1, then it would equal to 300.

Take a look at the VaR formula for portfolios.

Hope this helps.. 8-)

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am

Dear Content Pristine,

No your solution is not helping.

I know the VaR formula for portfolios. What I am asking is that, VaR does not follow the rule of subadditivity(thats why we do stress testing to complement VaR). That means the VaR of a combined portfolio can be larger than the sum of the VaRs of its components.

So in thsi how can we be so sure that VaR is following the rule of subadditivity and it will less than or equal to 300??

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Wed May 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Unless mentioned, these types of questions refers to historic VaR. Unless mentioned, you do not need to consider the VaR after stress testing.

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.