Commodity Forward pricing-Quesn #Doubt

blackjack21
Good Student

Commodity Forward pricing-Quesn #Doubt

Postby blackjack21 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 am

Calculate the 3 mnth fwd price for a bushel of corn if the current spot price is 3$/bushel, effective monthly intr rate is 1% and the monthly storage costs are .04$/bushel

Soln: While calculating the FV of storage costs why
0.04+ 0.04*1.01+ .04*1.01^2 is the calculation instead of 3*0.04
since 0.04 is the fixed cost per mnth why is it being taken like a cash flow study sort of thng...?

Also if yearly rates were given in the quesn then we could have calculated the same by dividing by 4 ryt? or frst converting to mnthly and then following the procedure mentioned in soln??

Tags:

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Re: Commodity Forward pricing-Quesn #Doubt

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Dear Blackjack,

Remember, how we use to calculate FV which is nothing but,

FV=PV*(1+r)^n
Here PV is monthly storage cost. And in this qn you are calculating final value. So FV of monthly storage cost for 1st month=0.04*(1+0.01)^0=0.04

FV of 2nd month storage cost=0.04(1+0.01)^1=0.04*1.01
FV of 3rd month storage cost=0.04(1+0.01)^2=0.04*1.02

So total FV of monthly storage cost= 0.04 + 0.04*1.01 + 0.04*1.01^2

Hope it helps!
Last edited by suresh.wadhwani2009 on Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackjack21
Good Student

Postby blackjack21 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 pm

This implies whenever I deal with fwd prices in my life I always treat the transactions, they might be constant or anything, as a "cash flow" because it would ultimately be involved in determining the prices.
:o :?

K...tq

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Dear Blackjack,

As you have written "whenever I deal with fwd prices in my life I always treat the transactions, they might be constant or anything as Cash Flow". First of all wehenever you are dealing with fwd/future price that can never be constant, fa sure it is going to vary. Theoretically you can say it is constant.

And whenever you are calculating future value/present value, you have to do the compounding/discounting. There is no other way out.

Dear Content pristine,

Help both of us if m wrong.

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Thu May 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Monthly storage costs are paid monthly. So each month would be a separate cash flow. They are not be to be clubbed together.

Think about this like the future value of the rent you pay. Unless its in the structure, you would pay for this monthly, each month being a cash flow and compounded separately.

Look for hints about the frequency of compounding in the questions.

Hope this helps.. 8-)

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Dear Content Pristine,

Where I have clubbed the Cash Flows? I have compounded them separately only.

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Thu May 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Suresh,
Your answer is good 8-)

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.