marginal var

bks.gtb
Good Student

marginal var

Postby bks.gtb » Sat May 12, 2012 12:58 pm

In a two-position portfolio consisting of positions X and Y, it is found that the marginal VAR of X is greater than that of Y. Using this information, which of the following is most likely to be TRUE? Increasing the allocation to:
Choose one answer. a. X and/or reducing the allocation to Y will move the portfolio toward the optimal portfolio
b. Y and/or reducing the allocation to X will lower the VAR of the portfolio,
c. Y and/or reducing the allocation to X will move the portfolio toward the optimal portfolio
d. X and/or reducing the allocation to Y will lower the VAR of the portfolio

.The correct answer is X and/or reducing the allocation to Y will move the portfolio toward the optimal portfolio.

My question is Marginal VAR of A is more than B. So the optimal portfolio will be to reduce the alloation to A and increase allocation to B. So answer B should be the right one. Please clarify.

Tags:

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Re: marginal var

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

I have the same doubt.

Pristine team,

Waiting for revert.

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm

One of our instructor, Kiranprasad, gives the response:

"The way to tackle many of the portfolio VAR related questions is to intuitively extend the understanding on the Standard deviation related properties. (VAR can be viewed a more sophisticated measure of associating a quantitative figure to an asset/ portfolio).

I agree with According to me, the answer is option 2. Unless there is a typo in the answer key, I do not see any reason why option d is correct!Yes, the understanding is correct that allocation to Y and/or reducing allocation to X will lower the VAR of the Portfolio.

Now, a teaser: Can you tell me why can't we comment of the optimal nature of the portfolio here?/ (I mean why cant option C?). Ponder on it."

suresh.wadhwani2009
Finance Junkie

Postby suresh.wadhwani2009 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 am

Dear Kiran,

In optimal portfolio, investor try to minimize risk while striving for the highest return. By trial and error method (different different weights to X and Y) we come up with various portfolios with diff risk-return characteristics. Optimal portfolio is the one which gives the highest return at given risk (investor's level of risk, which he has assumed).

In this qn, we cant comment on the optimal nature of the portfolio as it is only talking about increasing allocation or reducing allocation. We don't know at which point (diff weights to X and Y) portfolio will be optimal.

So we can only say that increasing allocation to Y will lower the VaR of the portfolio.

Help me if, If m wrong. :|

jaspreet.frm
Good Student

Postby jaspreet.frm » Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

The minimum risk portfolio is that where all the marginal VARs are equal. If Y has a lower marginal VAR, increasing the allocation to that position will increase its marginal VAR relative to that of X. Without returns measures, we cannot know how changing the allocations will move the portfolio with respect to the optimal portfolio. Therefore Option B is correct instead of Option A.

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.