Forwatd and future question

vandana.jain
Finance Junkie

Forwatd and future question

Postby vandana.jain » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 pm

hi, please help me with this question

A fund manager owns a $50 million USD growth portfolio that has a beta of 1.6 relative to the S&P 500. The S&P 500 Index is trading at 1,190. Calculate the number of futures contracts the fund manager needs to sell to hedge the portfolio. The multiplier of the S&P 500 is 250. Suppose that at the maturity of futures contracts the fund manager experiences a decline in value of his portfolio of 15%. The market index is trading at 1078, and the risk free rate is 3%. Calculate the effectiveness of the hedge.

a. No gain, small loss
b. Gain of 32K
c. Gain of 424K
d. Gain of 1500

Tags:

abhishek.chaudhari

Re: Forwatd and future question

Postby abhishek.chaudhari » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 pm

N=1.6*50000000/250*1190=269
Loss=.15%50=7.5 million $
Gain on Futures=269*250*(112)=7.532 million $
Net gain-7.532-7.5=.032 million $=32K gain..
is this the answer kindly confirm?

vandana.jain
Finance Junkie

Postby vandana.jain » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

yes, it is the answer
thank you

abhishek.chaudhari

Postby abhishek.chaudhari » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:41 pm

I actually think the question is flawed, probably because it is trying to query Hull's chapter 3 but it goes astray with imprecision (IMO):

We are assuming that 1,190 is current (at hedge) index spot and 1078 is the future index spot (the future spot, not the current future or future future; there appears to be no futures prices in the question). So no timeframe is given; e.g., is the maturity one year later?
Without a time horizon, we actually do not appear to have the means to infer an index FUTURES price. Please note that 1.5 beta * 50,000,000/(250*1190) assumes incorrectly the current index spot (1190) rather than the current futures price, which is not known? If time = 1.0, for example, we could use 1.5*50 MM/[250*1190*exp(3%*1.0)] = 1226 <-- this would actually be my answer to the first of the compound [sic?] question, already we have an issue!
Lacking that, I think as the only path to finding short futures position gain = (1078 - 1190)/1078 * (1190 * 250 * 269) = $7.532 million
However, there is a technical problem (IMO): this would be a good approximation, given that delta ~ 1.0 , but for a change in the futures contract where the maturity is not changing. Here the future position goes from F(0) = S(0)*exp(rT) to, at maturity, F(0) = S(0) ... so the question is not aware of this: change in spot does not approximate change in future position over the entire convergence period, it is only an instantaneous approximation.
Lastly, I don't mean to be a purist, but asking for "hedge effectiveness" is not (IMO) the best word choice as that is specifically defined as something else in Geman

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.