VAR Pristine Quiz..One More

VAR Pristine Quiz..One More

Postby maheshnath » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Since the below data is the discrete distribution for worst 10 returns out of the 100, once we arrange the same starting worst first, wanted to reconfirm, if the 95% Var is the 95th item i.e. -0.7 OR is it the 5th Worst item i.e.-1.0..Getting a bit confused here..

14. You are the risk manager of a fund. You are using the historical method to estimate VaR. You find that the worst 10 daily returns for the fund over the period of last 100 trading days are -1.0%, -.3%, -0.6%, -0.2%, -2.7%, -0.7%, -2.9%, 0.1%, -1.1%, -3.0%. What is the daily VaR for the portfolio at the 95% confidence level?
A. -0.6%
B. -0.7%
C. -1.0%
D. -3.0%
Ans: C.
The daily VaR at 95% confidence level is given by the fifth worst loss over the period which is -1%.

Finance Junkie

Re: VAR Pristine Quiz..One More

Postby content.pristine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Mahesh,

This link should solve your query..

Let me know if you have anything further..

Return to “FRM Part I”

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.