Bonds

swarnendupathak
Finance Junkie

Bonds

Postby swarnendupathak » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi, Please help me to solve this problem, I did'nt get the solution that is mentioned.

Consider a $1,000 par value bond with a 7% annual coupon. The bond pays interest annually. There are 2 years remaining until maturity. What is the current yield on the bond assuming that the required return on the bond is 10%? Use simple compounding.
Choose one answer.
a. 0.1
b. 0.0738
c. 0.05
d. 0.0352
The correct answer is 0.0738

Tags:

pankaj
Finance Junkie

Re: Bonds

Postby pankaj » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm

The question is very simple, to calculate current yield, first you need to know the present value of the bond. The present value of the bond is equal to the present value of the remaining payments on the bond.

Using financial calculator you can calculate the bond value.
N= 2, PMT= 70 (coupon= 1000*7%), I/Y= 10%, FV= 1000 (Face value), compute PV= ?
This will give the present value of 947.93.

Than to calculate current yield, divide coupon by the present value of the bond.

Current Yield = 70/947.93 = 0.07384 (7.384%)

Hope this helps! :)

swarnendupathak
Finance Junkie

Re: Bonds

Postby swarnendupathak » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks Pankaj, just confused with the required rate of return with yeild.
Thanks.

Swarnendu

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.