Meaning of Fungible

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

Meaning of Fungible

Postby AMITAG1990 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Please tell me,

What is mean by fungible.?? Actually in book it is given, I-strip is a fungible and p-strip is not.?? What is its mean.??

And also tell me what is difference between exercise price and strike price.?? it is given in book to insure portfolio synthetically we need to have different strike price and exercise price..

Tags:

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Re: Meaning of Fungible

Postby content.pristine » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Amit,

This is a very good question.
Thanks for posting it! 8-)

First of all, I'll explain Fungible with an example.
Lets say you borrowed Rs 10,000 from me. I paid you with 10, Rs1,000 bills.
However, even if you pay me back Rs 10,000 in the form of 20* Rs 500 bills, I would not mind. :)
Hence, currency is fungible. Commodities with the same quality are fungible.
However, if you borrow my bose stereo system and returned a sony, I would get very angry! :x
Stereo systems are not fungible :lol:

Now, consider these P STRIPS and I STRIPS of 2 T. Bonds that are identical. All identical I-strips of the same maturity would have the same CUSIP even if they come from different bonds. CUSIPs are nothing but security codes. Hence I STRIPS are fungible. However, the CUSIPs of P-STRIPS are unique to the bond. They are not fungible.

Hope this helps!
8-)

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

Postby AMITAG1990 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 pm

hello,
thanx for explanation, but you didnt replied the answer of my another question, i.e difference between strike price and excercise price ??

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Postby content.pristine » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:13 pm

They are the same.
Give me more context, or the source so I can help you figure out what they mean.

8-)

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.