6 nov mock test

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

6 nov mock test

Postby AMITAG1990 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:38 pm

A stock is trading at $55 and a put option on the stock has strike price of $50. If the stock price increases to $57 then which of the following is most likely change in the option price?
Choose one answer.
a. Increase by $0.40
b. Decrease by $0.40
c. Increase by $1.60
d. Decrease by $1.60

Solution is.
The put option is already out of money and if stock price increase it goes more out of money hence the option price will decrease. Since the put option is out of money, the delta will be between 0 and -0.5 hence option price will change in the range 0 and (57 – 55)*0.5 = 1. Hence $0.40

But as per my arguement delta for OTM put is between -1 to -0.5, so answer should should be D.. Please tell me what is right.?

Tags:

balajismz
Finance Junkie

Re: 6 nov mock test

Postby balajismz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Well in this case S and X are very much close to each other, so if not -0.5, delta should be somewhere close to it.

So I would say the decrease in option price should be around 0.4

Balaji

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

Postby AMITAG1990 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:45 pm

balaji you cann't say anything Ad hoc, As per their explanation ans should be 1.6.. just they have taken wrong value.. Even i donn't know what should be the approach..

swarnendupathak
Finance Junkie

Postby swarnendupathak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi,
As the So is 55 & K = 50, so PUT option is already at OTM so with further price rise the option will move to more OTM, and price will decrease as the value of the option get decreases, So delta will vary within a range of 0 to -0.5, So, the delta should be more than -0.5, let say -0.3, so the price change would be 2*-0.3= -0.6. If the answer to be option D, means 1.60, then delta should be -0.8, which is less than -0.5, which can't be as the option is going more out of money. So the correct answer is B.

Swarnendu

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.