FRA

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

FRA

Postby AMITAG1990 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Consider a Forward Rate Agreement which receives a rate of 8%, annually compounded, on a premium of $100 between the end of year 1 and year 2. Find out the value of the FRA using the additional information provided in the following table (given rates are continuously compounded):
Spot of 2 yr=6% and forwrd of 2nd Yr = 7%
Choose one answer.
a. $886920 Incorrect
b. $1000000 Incorrect
c. $750000 Incorrect
d. $665190 Correct
The correct answer is $665190.
Forward rate is 7% at the year end 2 compounded continuously. Equivalent annually compounded rate = 7.25%.
Value of bond = $100million*(0.08 – 0.0725)e-0.06*2 = $665,190

In this value of FRA has been calculated at the time of 0 Yr. but as per my understanding FRA value should be calculated at the starting of FRA period here which is at the end of 1 yr. please make me clear.

Tags:

balajismz
Finance Junkie

Re: FRA

Postby balajismz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Nope, the solution is right, FRA starts from T1 and ends at T2, but while valuing an FRA you would need to bring it back to current date or calculate the PV at time 0.

Balaji

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

Postby AMITAG1990 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm

but how can we calculate its value at zero, if i talk practially at zero yr we cann't know the LIBOR of 1yr After 1yr.. So In books also they use to calculate it at the starting of FRA.

swarnendupathak
Finance Junkie

Postby swarnendupathak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm

I think Amit is right, in valuing FRA it is discounted to time period of T1 not to T Zero, as we don't know the future discount rate. The answer should be 706323/-

If i am wrong please make it clear.

Swarnendu

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.