FRM-VAR

anbu.edu
Finance Junkie

FRM-VAR

Postby anbu.edu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 am

An insurance company currently has a security portfolio with a market value of $243 million. The daily returns on the company’s portfolio are normally distributed with a standard deviation of 1.4%. Using the table below, determine which of the following statements are TRUE.

zcritical

Alpha

One-tailed

Two-tailed

10%

2%

One-day VAR(1%) for the portfolio on a percentage basis is equal to 3.25%.
One-day VAR(10%) for the portfolio on a dollar basis is equal to $5.61 million.
One-day VAR(6%) > one-day VAR(10%).
A) II and III only.
B) I only.
C) I and III only.
D) I, II, and III.
View Answer and Explanation
To find the appropriate zcritical value for the VAR(1%), use the two-tailed value from the table correspondnig to an alpha level of 2%. Under a two-tailed test, half the alpha probability lies in the left tail and half in the right tail. Thus the zcritical 2.32 is appropriate for VAR(1%). For VAR(10%), the table gives the one-tail zcritical value of 1.28. Calculate the percent and dollar VAR measures as follows:

VAR(1%)

= z1% × σ

= 2.32 × 0.014

= 0.03248 ≈ 3.25%

VAR(10%)

= z10% × σ × portfolio value

= 1.28 × 0.014 × $243 million

= $4.35 million

Thus, Statement I is correct and Statement II is incorrect. For Statement III, recall that as the probability in the lower tail decreases (i.e., from 10% to 6%), the VAR measure increases. Thus, Statement III is correct.

Source:Scheweser
My doubt is why they have used one tail for VAR 10% but two tail for Var 2%

lokesh1
Good Student

FRM-VAR

Postby lokesh1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 am

Hey Anbu

The formula to calculate VAR(X%) is given by:
VAR(X%) = z(X%) x σ

In this formula, z(X%) corresponds to the critical z value based on alpha X % using ONE TAIL normal distribution.

So, in the above question, VAR (10%) = z(10%) x σ
Here, z(10%) corresponds to critical value of z for 10% alpha using ONE TAIL.

Now, to calculate VAR (1%), we need critical value of z for 1% alpha using ONE TAIL. And since this value is not directly given in the question, we use the following concept:

Under a two-tailed test, half the alpha probability lies in the left tail and half in the right tail. That means z critical using 2% alpha TWO TAIL is equal to z critical using 1% alpha ONE TAIL. Thus, the z critical 2.32 is appropriate for VAR(1%).

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.