FRM-VAR

anbu.edu
Finance Junkie

FRM-VAR

Postby anbu.edu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:03 pm

A risk manager simulates the Worst Case Scenario (WCS) data in the following table using 10,000 random vectors for time horizons, H, of 50 and 100.

Time Horizon = H H = 50 H = 100
Expected number of Z < -2.33 1.00 2.00
Expected number of Z < -1.65 2.00 6.00
Expected WCS -2.02 -2.88
WCS 1 percentile -3.55 -4.02
WCS 5 percentile -2.43 -3.37
Which of the following statements is (are) CORRECT?

The one percent value-at-risk (VAR) is –2.33.
The one percent WCS for a holding period of 100 is -2.33.
One percent VAR is expected to be exceeded twice over 100 trading periods.
A) I only.
B) II only.
C) I, II and III.
D) I and III.
View Answer and Explanation
The one percent VAR assuming normality corresponds to -2.33 and over the next 100 trading periods a return worse than -2.33 is expected to occur two times.

Source: Schewser

Is my understanding about (III) is correct?-Since H=100 is given as 2 , over the next 100 trading periods a return worse than -2.33 is expected to occur two times.

lokesh1
Good Student

FRM-VAR

Postby lokesh1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 am

Hey Anbu

Your understanding about statement III is correct.

Since for H=100, Expected number of Z < -2.33 is equal to 2, over the next 100 trading periods a return worse than -2.33 is expected to occur two times.

Return to “FRM Part I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.