Edu Mock test II-QNo-2

tell2rekha
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Edu Mock test II-QNo-2

Postby tell2rekha » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Sam, an analyst at Alpha Catalyst fund, finds out the following statistics based on historical data. Only 20% of subsidiaries of Alpha Catalyst are in the ‘Elite list’ published by their newsletter. The rest of subsidiaries are termed ‘Ordinary’. The probability that an elite company records a profit in any given year is 80%. For an ordinary company, there is as much chance to make a profit as it is to make a loss. For both the type of companies, the probability of making a profit is independent from one year to the next.
Now consider a subsidiary which was established 2 years ago and has recorded a profit in both the years. What is the probability that the subsidiary is in elite list now?

edupristine
Finance Junkie
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:28 am

Edu Mock test II-QNo-2

Postby edupristine » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:51 am

The correct answer is C

Sol. Only 20% of the total subsidiaries are in elite list. So the probability that a random company is in elite list is:

P(E) = 0.2 ; P(O) = 0.8

The probability that the company earns a profit given that it is in elite list is

P(P/E) = 0.8

The probability that the company earns a profit given it is ordinary is P(P/O) = 0.5

We need to find out the probability that the company is in elite list, given that it has earned profit consecutively twice i.e. P(E/2P)

Now P(E/2P) = (P(2P/E)*P(E))/(P(2P))

P(2P/E) = 0.8*0.8 = 0.64

P(2P) = P(P/E)xP(E) + P(P/O)x P(O) = 0.82 * 0.2 + 0.52 * 0.8 = 0.328

So P(E/2P) = (0.64 * 0.2)/0.328 = 0.39


Return to “FRM Part II”



cron

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.