PRM Axioms

ameyakukde
Good Student
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 am

PRM Axioms

Postby ameyakukde » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm

The axiom of independence of choice states that "Our preference order between two lotteries should not be affected if these lotteries are part of the same wider range of possibilities"
The question asked in Quiz 2 on Risk & Risk aversion is :
Maurice Allais, a Frenchman who was awarded Nobel Prize in economics in 1988 conducted two similar experiments on different set of people. Each experiment dealt with gamble and outlined probability of winning a certain amount of money with certain probability. The experiments were as follows
Experiment 1
Gamble 1A: 100% chance of winning $1 million
Gamble 1B: 89% chance of winning $1 million, 10% chance of winning $5 million and 1% of chance of winning nothing
Experiment 2
Gamble 2A: 89% chance of winning nothing, 11% chance of winning $1 million
Gamble 2B: 90% chance of winning nothing, 10% chance of winning $5 million
Allais observed that most people preferred gamble 1A to gamble 1B and gamble 2B to gamble 2A. This is called “Allais Paradox” and Allais presented this phenomenon as an example of violation of one axiom of utility.

How do the choices presented represent the choices from the same wider range of possibilities??

Also, give us more examples from axioms of independence of choice. Only one example in addition to the handbook example is covered. AT LEAST, mention the source from where we can get examples in case you the pristine study material doesn't provide the depth I am looking for.
In such quesn it is obvious that the question is fron axiom of independence. DO you know of an example where there is a little tweak and we could get trapped?
I mean if you give us 2 gambles and 4 choices it is obv that the axiom is from independence of choice. Kindly share an example where this is not the case. I appreciate your time and help.

Return to “PRM Exam”



Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.