Consigned goods - conflict in notes - request to resolve

Good Student

Consigned goods - conflict in notes - request to resolve

Postby k.sankar.ra » Mon May 30, 2016 10:24 am

Page 13 - Consigned goods
"....The inventory should be recorded (obviously by the consignor) at price paid by the consignee PLUS any shipping costs incurred by consignor to make the goods available to consignEE (consignOR in the page, probably due to printing error)".

This may mean the following entry in the consignor's books upon consignment to consignee, i.e.,
1 Consignment stock account Debit
2 Stock account Cr (with the cost of the stock issued on consignment)
3 Cash / Accounts Payable Cr (with the cost of the shipping costs paid or incurred)

In Indian accounting although, we learn that for the goods sent on consignment, the following entry is passed, i.e.,
1 Consignment account Debit
2 Goods sent on consignment account Cr (with the cost of goods sent on consignment)
(sometimes, the above entry is made at some approximate price invoiced to consignee,
and then another same or reverse entry is passed to adjust the excess of cost or the excess of invoice price)

Page 17 Example at the top of the page
"Sonali...+ product B out on consignment of Rs 40K recorded @ sale price with 20% mark-up...."

"...Goods out on consignment will be recorded in the books of the consignor at cost and not the selling price...+40K(1-20%)..."

Page 13 notes and Page 17 solution to example are conflicting one another.

Can you clarify this please ?

Ra K Sankar

My Failed Attempts
I have tried to look through the following US GAAP materials on the above issue, i.e.,
a) SFAS 151 Inventory Costs
b) ARB 43 ARB Restatements and Revisions of ARBs,
the chapter 4 of which deals with inventory pricing
Both the above do not seem to discuss consignment

Return to “CMA”

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.