Binomial Trees

kaushalya.narendran
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Binomial Trees

Postby kaushalya.narendran » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 am

(i) A 6 month American put option
(ii) So= 50
(iii) X=52
(iv) Volatility=20%
(v)The stock price has a 80% probability to go up each period and a 20% probability of going down each period
(vi) Risk free rate=12% p.a.

How do we calculate the up move factor (u) and the expected payoff (Pu) given the above details.

Kindly explain along with the steps to calculate.

pradeeppdy
Finance Junkie
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Binomial Trees

Postby pradeeppdy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm

We can calculate the up move factor by putting the values in this formula (e^σ√h)
e^.20√.5 = 1.1519
Now the expected payoff is :-
If there is two up move then the expected payoff is (50*1.8^2) = 162 =Payoff = 0
If there is one up and one down move then the payoff is (50*1.8*.20) = 52-18 = 34
If there is two down move, then the payoff is (50 * .2^2) = 52-2 = 50.

Hope the calculation is clear to you.

pradeeppdy
Finance Junkie
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Binomial Trees

Postby pradeeppdy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 am

It is a graphical presentation basically. The intrinsic values are shown with probability of going down or up .The binomial tree is used for calculating option values or premiums .


Return to “CFA Level I”



Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.