duration

sessiljoseph
Good Student

duration

Postby sessiljoseph » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 am

A bond portfolio manager makes the following two statements:
I. "We hedged our bond position (B), which has a duration of 6.5 years, with the hedge portfolio (H), which also has a duration of 6.5 years. Therefore, if interest rates increase by 20 basis points, the percentage decrease in the value of (B) will be equal to the percentage increase in the value of (H)."
II. "We have a short position in a portfolio of plain-vanilla [ie., no embedded options] coupon-bearing bonds, with portfolio duration of 5.0 years. Therefore, if yields increase by 20 basis points, our gain will likely be less than 1.0%, but if yields decrease by 20 basis points, our loss will likely be greater than 1.0%"
Which of the above statement(s) is (are) true?
a) Neither is true
b) I. only
c) II. only
d) Both I. and II. are true
can u please explain this question

edupristine
Finance Junkie

duration

Postby edupristine » Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Only II is correct, The statement is correct because for short positions loss will be greater than gain due to convexity effect.
Statement I is incorrect because it is not necessary that the percentage decrease in the value of B will be equal to the percentage increase in the value of H, As we don't have the factors of measurement.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.