Fixed Income Analysis

Fixed Income Analysis

Postby alwaysenjoy.indu » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:41 am

Problem : Calculate the value of a bond, that would pay you $50 every year, starting from a year from now, for the next 3 years and would pay you a sum of $1000 at the end of 3 years. The appropriate discounting factor is 10%

My Understanding :

In Bond market its contract between the issuer/borrower and lender at pre determined coupon payment having n maturity period for x principal amount...

So generally coupon payment is something its kind of interest which the investor receives on periodical basis and in the given example it says 10 % discount rate - may I know wht is this addidtional 10 % discount rate ?

Why will the investor received two returns ( $50 and 10% )

Can some one please clarify this at the earliest and also my previous questions

Finance Junkie

Fixed Income Analysis

Postby edupristine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:43 am

Nope, Here $50 is coupon payment, 10% is discounting factor that will be used in PV calculation,
At the time of issuance company issues a bond at some present value. For example If the bond is issued at 10% coupon rate but you are getting 11% in the market( without covering any extra risk).
In such case you will not buy this bond If your Cash flows is not discounted with (11%) because as per the bond agreement you will get only 10% as a coupon.

Note:- PV<FV( If coupon is lesser than discount rate).
PV>FV(If coupon is greater than discount rate).

In your question lender is only getting $50, 10% is only discount rate.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.