Corporate finance

Corporate finance

Postby neha.kapoor318 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:20 am

Wilson flannery is concerned that this project has multiple IRRs.

Year 0 1 2 3
Cash Flows -50 100 0 -50

How many discount rates produce a zero NPV for this project?
A) One, a Discount rate of 0 percent
B) Two , a discount rates of 0 Percent and 32 percent.
C)Two, discount rates of 0 percent and 62 percent

Can you please explain the question in detail and also the reason for the correct answer . Not getting the logic?

Finance Junkie

Corporate finance

Postby edupristine » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 am

Ans is C.
1st- by putting NPV 0 in CF calculation we will get 0% IRR.
2nd- By manual calculation you can find out second value like this.
0= -50 + 100/(1+62%)^1 - 50/(1+62%)^3
0= 0

Finance Junkie

Corporate finance

Postby pankaj » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 am

To solve suck kind of questions, you need to do back calculation
So before doing any back calculation, remember that IRR is a discount rate that makes NPC equals to zero.
Use the normal way to calculate the NPV in your financial calci.
So here it goes!
CF0 = -50
C01 = 100
F01 = 1
C02 = 0
F02 =1
C03 = -50
F03 = 1
Press NPV button, it will ask for I (the discount rate). So from the given options pick the discount rate and check which all discount rate gives you NPV of Zero.
So, I = 0 , will give NPV = 0
And I = 62, will give NPV of -0.032. to solve this question assume this to be NPV of zero.
Other options will give you much higher NPV

Hope this helps!!

Return to “CFA Level I”

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.