Fixed income instrument

chandniwadhwani92
Finance Junkie

Fixed income instrument

Postby chandniwadhwani92 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 am

ABC corp is quoted with a YTM of 4% on a semi-annual bond basis. What yields should be used to compare it with a quarterly pay bond and an annual pay bond.

Concept Not getting. How to solve??????

1 + YTM1 / n ) ^ n = (1 + YTM2 / m ) ^ m

What is m stands for????

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Fixed income instrument

Postby edupristine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 am

Here, "n" and "m" stands for the no of compounding periods. For semi annual compounding, n =2, for quarterly compounding , n= 4.

So, For YTM1 "n" represents the no of compounding periods and similarly "m" represents the no of compounding periods for YTM2.

The very formula you specified in the question can be used to change YTM1 with "n" compounding periods into YTM2 with "m" compounding periods.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

chandniwadhwani92
Finance Junkie

Fixed income instrument

Postby chandniwadhwani92 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Wat does ytm1 and ytm 2 stands for
Can u plz solve it 4 me
Still not fully cleared

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Postby edupristine » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 am

YTM is the acronym for Yield to maturity. So, YTM 1 and YTM 2 are two examples of yields to maturity.
Suppose YTM1 = 4% semi annually and you have to find out the equivalent yield when it is compounded quarterly i.e when the no of compounding periods = 4.
Solution: (1+0.04/2) ^2 = (1+YTM2/4)^4.
Now you can solve this equation for YTM2.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.