TVM Question

aditi.kaushal

TVM Question

Postby aditi.kaushal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 am

Eric Keener's father has promised to give him $1,000 each year for the next three years. A bank deposit pays 5 percent compounded semi-annually. How much money will Eric have at the end of three years if he invests in the bank? Assume the money (the $1,000 from his father) will be received at the end of each year.
a. $3,154.43
b. $2,859.41
c. $4,000.00
d. $2,723.24
e. None of the above is within $1.00 of the correct answer.

I m trying with two methods-

Method 1- PMT=1000, I/Y=5%/2, N=3*2, CPT FV
Method 2- convert 5% nominal rate to effective rate 5.06% and then PMT=1000, I/Y=5.06%, N=3, CPT FV

There are examples where we used method 1 i.e. divide the interest rate with compounding that is 5%/2=2.5% and multiply the compounding with N that is N=3*2=6. This is giving me incorrect answer
If I use method 2 I am getting correct answer.

I am confused in what scenario we use method1 and in what scenario we can use method 2???

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Re: TVM Question

Postby edupristine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 am

Hi,

In the first method, it is more of use when you have semi-annual payments and annual interest rates. Here, you need to calculate the effective rate. Solution:-

A, Two steps with the key being to use the effective rate rather than the nominal rate, 1) find the effective rate using 5% nominal with 2 periods per year, 2) then find FV, based on PV=0, I=step 1 answer, N=3, PMT=1000, and compute FV.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.