Probability

n.barsa

Probability

Postby n.barsa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:42 am

319.2. The following is a probability matrix for X = {1, 2, 3} and Y = {1, 2, 3}; i.e., the Joint
Prob (X = 3, Y = 3) = 18.0%:
Each of the following is true EXCEPT which is false?
a) X and Y are independent
b) The covariance(X,Y) is non-zero
c) The probability Y = 3 conditional on X = 1 is 10.0%; i.e., Prob (Y = 3, X = 1) = 10.0%
d) The unconditional probability that X = 2 is 50.0%; i.e., Prob (X = 2) = 50.0%

asamaha

Probability

Postby asamaha » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:33 am

A

n.barsa

Probability

Postby n.barsa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Plz expalin . The answer given is

319.2. B. Because X and Y are independent, their covariance is zero (it is not true that we
can infer independence from zero covariance, however!).
In regard to (A), X and Y are independent because for all cells in the matrix: the Joint Prob
(X, Y) = Prob(X)*Prob(Y).
In regard to (C) and (D), these are TRUE.

edupristine
Finance Junkie

Probability

Postby edupristine » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am

Hi, Since we can infer that X and Y are independent therefore covariance will be zero. When X and Y are independent covariance will be 0 but if covariance is 0 we cannot infer that X and Y are independent. Hence we can say that B will be false because covariance will be 0 and "not" non-zero.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.