Is an option worth more than a stock?

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Is an option worth more than a stock?

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 am

Suppose I have two portfolios where in one portfolio I have 100$ and a call option to buy the underlying asset at 100$
The other portfolio has a stock(the underlying stock for the option in the first portfolio) that is trading at 110$ and 100$ in addition to this stock...
Which portfolio is better to choose from a future perspective?

Clearly in the current scenario I can make a profit of 10$ by choosing the options portfolio but is the options portfolio really worth more than 10$ in future?
If stock prices shoot up, then both portfolios are good...the options portfolio gives a return of 10$ extra, right? or more?
What if the stock price goes down in future before the expiry of option date and assuming that the option is an American option?
Which portfolio is better? What if the expiry date is reached and I didn't exercise the option, then I think second portfolio should be better or not?

Tags:

ankuragrawal.nit
Finance Junkie

Re: Is an option worth more than a stock?

Postby ankuragrawal.nit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:55 am

I understood this one after a deeper introspection. Thank You!

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.