fixed income measurement of int rate risk

deepakkrkanodia
Finance Junkie

fixed income measurement of int rate risk

Postby deepakkrkanodia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Q. THE CURRENT PRICE OF A $1000, 7 YEAR, 5.5.% SEMI ANNUAL COUPON BOND IS $1029.23. THE BONDS PVBP IS CLOSET TO:

A $0.05
B $0.60
C $5.74

PLZ TELL THE ANSWER AND HOW IT IS CALCULATED WITH EXPLAINATION

Tags:

content.pristine
Finance Junkie

Re: fixed income measurement of int rate risk

Postby content.pristine » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Deepak,

I hope you understand what exactly is PVBP.
This question needs to be answered in 3 steps.
Step 1: Find the Yield of the Bond given in the Question.
Step 2: Increase (or Decrease) the Yield by 1 basis point and find the price.
Step 3: The difference between the 2 bond prices is the PVBP

Step 1: Using the TVM keys on your calculator: (remember we are using semi-annual compounding)
Calculator Inputs
N 14
PV -1029.32
PMT 27.5
FV 1000

Calculator Outputs
I/Y 2.50%

That means that the yield of the bond = 2.5%*2 = 5%

Step 2: Increase the yield of the bond by 1bp. Since this is semi-annual compounding, we need to only increase this by .5bp in our calculator:
Calculator Inputs
N 14
I/Y 2.504
PMT 27.5
FV 1000

Calculator Outputs
PV ($1,028.73)

Step 3: Difference between the two bond prices = $0.59.

Hence, B is our answer..

Hope this helps... 8-)

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.