kurtosis

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

kurtosis

Postby AMITAG1990 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:55 pm

An analyst collected the data for return given by the stock of Riflead ltd. for last 75 periods. He wanted to check the Kurtosis of the data relative to the normal distribution. The sum of the fourth power of deviation from the mean is , the standard deviation of the sample is 0.11. Based on the above given data, which of the following observation(s) made by the analyst is/are correct:
I.The distribution is more peaked and has fat tails than the normal distribution
II.The distribution will have more returns with large deviations from the mean.
III.It will have a smaller percentage of small deviations from the mean and a greater percentage of extremely large deviations from the mean.
IV.A greater likelihood of a large deviation from the mean return is often perceived as an increase in risk
Choose one answer.
a. II, III and IV Incorrect
b. I,II and III Incorrect
c. I, II and IV Correct
d. I and IV

Ans is C.
But as it is a leptokurtic, and In my opinion 1st should wrong as it says distribution is more peaked but in leptokurtic It is less peak than normal.. please tell me whether i am right or wrong.??

Tags:

balajismz
Finance Junkie

Re: kurtosis

Postby balajismz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 pm

As far as I rem more peaked than normal is Leptokurtic and less peaked is platykurtic.

In Leptokurtic we will have more %of returns closer to mean and away from mean, giving rise to peakedness at the center and fat tails.

Balaji

AMITAG1990
Finance Junkie

Re: kurtosis

Postby AMITAG1990 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 pm

ya balaji u r right.. It was posted by me just by mistake.

Return to “CFA Level I”

Disclaimer

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to abuse@edupristine.com and we will rectify it.