Good Student

Postby bhuyanpk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:41 am

A person has entered into a 150-day forward contract on a stock at $80 and there is an
expected dividend on the stock of $2.5 payable in 90 days. After 30 days the stock price has
moved to $86. What is the value of this forward contract given risk free rate of 5%.
Solution: The dividend payable has 60 days left before the stock becomes ex-dividend from the
current date and the contract will mature in 120 days.
= 2.48
Value of the contract = (86-2.48) – {80/(1.05)120/365 }
= $ 4.79

I did not understand why are we calculating PV of 30 days for dividend.Is that due to stock price changed after 30 days?pls explain

Finance Junkie

Re: Derivatives-I

Postby edupristine » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:50 am

PVD = 2.5/{(1.05)^(30/365)} = 2.48
Present value is calculated on 30 days because Stock price will move with dividend only till the time stock becomes ex-dividend. After the ex-dividend date, stock price move without the dividend. When the stock price reaches the ex-dividend date, stock price falls by the dividend price i.e PV of 2.5. So, securities bought and sold no longer come attached with the right to receive the most recently declared dividend.

Value of the contract= (86-2.48) – {80/(1.05)^(120/365)}
= $4.79

Return to “CFA Level I”

Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.