support@edupristine.com1800 200 5835Request a Call
Call Me

CPA License Renewal

One you have successfully completed the uniform CPA exam, you need to apply to the individual state board of accountancy (SBA) either through NASBA or directly through SBA. Each state has its own license requirements, once you have fulfilled those, you will get your license from the concerned State Board.

That is not the end of it. The license once obtained has to be renewed periodically and in order to do your CPA License Renewal, you must meet certain criteria that is set by the State Board of Accountancy (SBA) which issued your CPA license.

CPA License status:

After the term of your license expires, you can either choose an active license status or an inactive license status. The licensees who have an active status can practice public accounting, while those with inactive statuses cannot, they are only eligible for filing a small number of returns every year. In order to renew your CPA license with the inactive status, you don’t have to complete the required CPE credits but you still have to fill the renew application form and pay the renew application fees.

Since January 2010, every CPA is mandated to show the status of the license beside the CPA designation displayed beside the name.

CPA CPE Credit requirements:

As said before, in order to renew your CPA License in the active status you need to finish a certain number of pre-set CPE credits. Many state boards follow the same number of CPE requirements but there is a variation in State wise CPA CPE Credit requirements . These credits are essential not only for the renewal of the CPA License but a lot of CPA societies also require CPE credits in order to continue the membership for the concerned society.

For example, being a CPA makes you eligible for AICPA membership but in order to continue your membership with the AICPA you need to meet the AICPA minimum CPE Requirements.

You can convert your inactive CPA license into an active one before the next expiration date by completing the required CPE credit hours and filing out the


Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc. (GARP®) does not endorse, promote, review or warrant the accuracy of the products or services offered by EduPristine for FRM® related information, nor does it endorse any pass rates claimed by the provider. Further, GARP® is not responsible for any fees or costs paid by the user to EduPristine nor is GARP® responsible for any fees or costs of any person or entity providing any services to EduPristine Study Program. FRM®, GARP® and Global Association of Risk Professionals®, are trademarks owned by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, Inc

CFA Institute does not endorse, promote, or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by EduPristine. CFA Institute, CFA®, Claritas® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute.

Utmost care has been taken to ensure that there is no copyright violation or infringement in any of our content. Still, in case you feel that there is any copyright violation of any kind please send a mail to and we will rectify it.

Popular Blogs: Whatsapp Revenue Model | CFA vs CPA | CMA vs CPA | ACCA vs CPA | CFA vs FRM

DM_marketing.php Post ID = 63960