Hey there! So good to have you back again. In this blog, we will be discussing the 5 most important excel functions that every Social Media Marketer must know. Let us quickly get started.
Did you know that the marketing world is full of creativity, brainstorming sessions, and an artistic vision? However, when it comes to the day-to-day operations of a marketing campaign, this is just one part of the picture.
Being a Marketer, most of the time is spent on analyzing data, planning budgets, and monitoring statistics, which means Marketers spend a significant amount of time using Excel spreadsheets.
You might disagree and argue saying, ‘Social Media is all about being cr
Let us quickly find out what these functions are:
- Let’s say that you wrote a nice post for putting it up on Twitter and then Twitter tells you that you are exceeding the 140-character limit. This may make us sad, but we can’t help it.
- So next time you can draft your tweets in Excel and use the LEN function. The LEN function in Excel helps you to find out the length of the string or sentence. So not just for tweets, you can use this function for knowing the length of descriptions, meta descriptions, etc as well.
- We have used an example of tweets and their characters. If you prepare your tweets in advance then, you can easily know their length by using this function.
- Suppose you have two Facebook contest participants report with you and you want to find out the common participants in both the contests so that you don’t end up giving the prize to the same participant again and again.
- Instead of finding it manually, you canâ€¯use VLOOKUP. VLOOKUP in Excel helps you to lookup for a certain set of values in the same or another Excel sheet or Excel workbook. So next time you get stuck with multiple excel sheets, you know where you need to lookup.
- You just downloaded a Facebook insights report, and you want to know how many of your posts are doing well so you will obviously check the number of likes, comments, and shares generated.
- You can easily know the number byâ€¯using the COUNTIF function. COUNTIF function in Excel helps you to count certain numbers if they fulfill the specified criteria.
- By using the COUNTIF function, you can save a lot of time that can be spent on some creative work.
- If you want to know the total number of people who liked, commented, or shared your posts, you can easily find it out by using the SUM function.
- If you want to add certain criteria like sum only if liked between certain dates, then you canâ€¯use the SUMIF function.
- These functions can add all your data within seconds, and you don’t have to worry about the accuracy as well.
- Learn to use the SUMIF functionâ€¯here. In our example, we have used the SUMIF function to know the SUM of likes but only if they were above 25.
- Formatting /Conditional Formatting:
- Want to send the social media report to the client?? You cannot send them the report you just downloaded from Facebook or Twitter.
- There may be data, which is important, the data which needs to be presented in tabular form, and the data that needs to be highlighted.
- To put it in simple words, your data requiresâ€¯formatting. Formatting will make your data look more presentable and you never know your client might just get impressed with your formatting skills.
- If you want to add conditions while formatting, then use the function ofâ€¯conditional formatting. Again, in the same example, I want to highlight the posts where the shares are more than 15 so I use the conditional formatting option.
You may never come to know about the vast offerings of the Excel program until and unless you try doing it yourself. This blog is just a guide to get you started and make you familiar with the basic features of the most useful tool in the world of marketing.
So, do let us know if using these excel functions is helping you or not. If you are using some other functions, then do share with us.
If you wish to take your social media strategy to the next level, then you must enroll yourself in a digital marketing course. The digital marketing course syllabus is comprehensive and includes all the important topics necessary to run your business smoothly. To know more about the digital marketing course details, feel free to contact our counsellors who would be happy to guide you at each step. All the best and happy learning!