May 16, 2015
Backlinks are links that are directed towards your website. The number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity or importance of that website. Backlinks are important for SEO because some search engines, especially Google, will give more credit to websites that have a good number of quality backlinks, and consider those websites more relevant than others in their results pages for a search query.
Anyone who has a little knowledge about SEO can tell you how important it is to get the backlinks. But just getting the backlinks won’t work, you need quality backlinks for fruitful SEO results.
Bob Jones, owner of Visible says, “Getting quality links to your blog or website is essential to compete for 1st page positioning on Google. As Google’s algorithm advances, the type of links you’re getting matter the most. A links value depends on the trust level Google places n the source website. The harder it is to get a link, the more ranking value it will pass to your blog.“
Source – Blogger Tips & Tricks
To help you get quality links here are some methods that will surely help:
People love it when you talk about them in your blog or even better mention their name in some Top 10 list. Top 10 Social Media Experts, Top 10 SEO Experts or any other Top 10 list that is relevant to your industry can help you get backlinks.
Jonathan Spektor of Long Live The Internet tells us how you can do this in 4 steps:
1. Find top influencers in your specific category
2. Create a blog post on your site about the top cat influencers to follow
3. Write nice things about these people in the post.
4. Email the influencers and mention them in social media once you have posted the article and ask them to share and link back to it if they are interested.
He adds,”We are seeing incredible results. People love being talked about and this is a really successful back linking strategy that keeps working.”
If you get any opportunity to interview any authoritative person in your industry, just jump to it. Interview blogs generate good readership especially if the interviewee is a well known personality.
Jonathan Bentz, Marketing Manager at Netripid uses this technique often. He says, “At Netrepid, we regularly do interview series’ with thought leaders who are doing speaking engagements at industry conferences or award nominees. This is what is commonly referred to as link building via flattery and it is totally white hat. Naturally, once the thought leader is interviewed and their post is published, they are going to share through social media on both their company site and personal sites. If they are someone with a substantial following, this can lead to a lot of attention for your blog and help you pick up some secondary links.”
If you yourself enjoy a good reputation in your industry, then you can also try giving out some interviews as that will enhance your as well as your company’s image and earn a backlinks for sure.
A social bookmark is a link that people post to social websites for others to see because they find it interesting or valuable. Social Bookmarking not only helps you in getting the backlinks but also helps you generate traffic for an individual blogpost.
Lisa W Boyle, SEO & Internet Marketing Strategist at Paradigm Shift SEO who uses this technique often says, “Sharing a blog URL on social bookmarking sites like Reddit , Tumblr and Scoop It helps get the backlink ball rolling. I also recommend using content aggregators and blog communities like Bizsugar and Growthhackers. Not only does it build a link back to your site but it also allows other bloggers/publishers to find your content and reference it in their articles.“
We are sure that you have your bit of knowledge in a particular field so instead of keeping it to yourself, share it with people. If your go on HARO or ProfNet, you’ll see that there are thousands of people asking for help. Select your expertise area and help people out and that will surely get you backlinks.
Brandon Seymour, owner of Beymour Consulting says, “Journalists and bloggers are always looking for input from experts. If you use a service like HARO or ProfNet, you can receive daily emails with queries from journalists and media outlets. Usually they’re looking for a quick reply, so it doesn’t take too much of your time. Not all sites offer links, but most do. This is a great way to build some solid media links.”
If you can get Edu or Gov backlinks then nothing like that as that will improve the link authority of your site.
Josh Lyons, Marketing Director of South Land Commercial says, “Getting backlinks on .edu and .gov websites are great. It’s said that getting those types of backlinks have more value than many .com backlinks. If you have connections to schools or government business, see if you can use those connections to generate some backlinks.“
How to get links from .Edu and .Gov websites
• Find the .edu and .gov blogs and try to leave relevant comments
• Offer Scholarships in Educational Institution
• Write blogs about these institutions or mention the institution in your blogs and send them the link. If they find it good enough, they might use it.
• Websites of educational institutions have resource pages wherein they give links to the sites that provide useful information to students. Check if your website provides any useful information on any topics mentioned
If your content is not good enough, any of the above practices won’t work so make sure that your content is appealing.
Lauren Fairbanks, Chief Content Strategist at Stunt & Gimmicks shares content strategies for getting backlink.
• Focus on evergreen content: Evergreen content is content that can stand the test of time. It’s usually in-depth (think: detailed guides and how-to’s) and can be updated every so often to keep it relevant. This type of content can generate huge amounts of traffic and backlinks (especially since it will stay relevant for years) with the right type of distribution.
• User-generated content: Create large content roundups where you gather input from industry experts and professionals – including bloggers. Be sure to include people who have large audiences themselves, and are good self-promoters. Once you publish this content, reach out to the people who submitted tips and get them to link to the content through their own publishing platforms.
A brilliant article which is interesting as well as informative won’t rank high on google search if it lacks quality backlinks. As Neil Patel says “You simply cannot have a top-ranking site without generating top-quality links,” so even if you find the above techniques time consuming, make sure you use them as they can prove to be very beneficial in the long run.