Health Care System in USA:
The health care system in US is one of the best in the world. Many renowned hospitals are functional in the US like Mayo clinics, MD Anderson and NYU being some of them. The availability of latest medical facilities to the masses has been its hallmark. The healthcare system in US is provided by Medicare and Medicaid. Low income families can receive health care facilities through Medicaid program.US residents get accepted into Medicare program after the retirement age.
Health Care system in USA has four parts: Hospital Insurance, Medical Insurance, Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drugs. Many private health insurance companies do provide with health care assurance facilities. Because of many government initiatives the health care system in the US cover most of the population. Obama care is one of such government initiative.
Other Important details of Healthcare system in USA
- Health care in the US is mainly provided by private hospitals and clinics
- Most US citizens have medical insurance provided by the employer and including immediate family
- US residents avail to the Medicare program after the retirement age
- Low income families can receive health care facilities through Medicaid program
- Some visas like the J1/ J2, H1/H2 do require a basic level of health insurance because of expensive health care in the US
- A valid health insurance is recommended for an international student before arriving in the US or after arriving from private health insurance providers
Types of Specialized Jobs available after USMLE:
There are many specialties and super specialties available for the applicant. Among all, an international medical graduate prefers internal medicine, family medicine, and psychiatry. However, other specialities like surgery, dermatology, anaesthesiology and radiology are also available and applied by the graduates.
- In surgery residency program, the applicant learns surgical skills and can enter into super speciality surgical branches.
- In radiology residency, it involves CT, MRI and USG and later into interventional radiology. The primary reason for preference towards internal medicine being availability of large number of residency spots.
- Also, American medical graduate prefers high earning medicine specialties like surgery orthopaedics and radiology.
- Family medicine and psychiatry are less competitive hence comparatively easier to get the residency spot. Many Indian graduates have been successful in securing residency spots in internal medicine, family medicine, psychiatry
Also after residency there are many fellowship opportunities available. A recent trend among the Indian post graduate is to sought an US fellowship and continue there as a faculty or give the board certification examination.
Research Opportunities after USMLE:
Contrary to Indian scenario, a lot of emphasis is given on research activities in US. Lot of research activities take place in US and every resident or fellow is expected to be part of team along with active participation in the research activities. There are research scholarships and specials visa made available for research scholars. Thus, publication, abstracts and case reports can be very useful to get a residency spot in the match. Many research fellowship in form of research assistant or teaching assistant are also available and applicant with their preferences can be benefited. Also, getting in research activities can make an applicant familiar with the US medical system and help him make acknowledgments in his interested field.
Salary expectation after USMLE:
There is a large discordance among the specialities compensation and differs among many US states. Among all the medical specialties, orthopaedic, neurosurgery, anaesthesiologist and radiologists are the highly paid specialties. However, a fellowship after completion of internal medicine, family medicine and psychiatrist residency can substantially increase your salary.
- A residency program gives a compensation to the resident for the services.
- At an average, a resident gets 5000 $ per month, however it varies according to years of residency or different states.
- It enables a resident to rent a room, buy or lease a car and support dependents. Overall, a good living is possible during your residency years.
After completion, a fellowship also has a similar compensation and working as a specialist would have a good added benefits.