Hey there! So good to have you back again! Are you also wondering how can Indian students acquire the international credential of US CPA? Worry no more, this blog will cover all the CPA course details, including CPA course eligibility, steps to acquire the CPA license, and most importantly, how to pursue a CPA course in India. Let us quickly get started.
Did you know that the demand for accountants is expected to grow by 6% annually by the year 2028? Interesting right? It is because of this reason that most of the Indian candidates today prefer going for the US CPA course over the CA course, which is highly in demand too. US CPA course stands for Certified Public Accountant. It is one of the highest and the most popular credential that is globally recognized. The question that we frequently get is, can a non-US or a non-Canadian citizen pursue this course? The answer is a very big yes.
Let us now understand how Indian students can pursue the US CPA.
To be eligible for the US CPA course, there are certain criteria to be fulfilled, which are as follows:
- The CPA aspirants must have a total of 120 credits in the field of Commerce. As per the US, each year of study in India is considered 30 credits per year.
- Every bachelor’s degree in India is for a minimum of three years, and hence the total credits that can be obtained are 90. However, a student is still not eligible to pursue the US CPA course.
- Additionally, students also need to have a Post-graduate degree or a Master’s degree or can be a Member of ICAI (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India), or a member of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India to acquire a total credit score of 120.
- Another important point to be kept in mind is that each state in the US has a different procedure on the eligibility criteria.
- The average score that is needed by many of the states is 120 credits, but some states also demand having a total of 150 credits.
- To know whether you are eligible or not, please feel free to contact our counsellors, who would be more than happy to assist you and help you make the right decision.
The application process for the Indian aspirants are as follows:
Before we get into the details of how to apply, let us first understand more about the two very essential institutions involved with the US CPA course.
- AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) is the world’s largest association that represents the accounting profession.
- NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) serves as the apex body of all the State Boards of the United States. All the 55 states of the United States have different boards, having different policies for the application and for acquiring the license. Thus, NASBA is considered as the motherboard of all such State Boards of the US.
The steps that all the Indian students must follow are as follows:
- The very first step is to arrange for the transcript from the respective university.
- Once the transcript has arrived, it needs to be sent to the US for evaluation.
- The transcripts then need to be sent to NASBA or WES (World Education Services), or any other recognized evaluation agency.
- Out of 55 jurisdictions, 53 jurisdictions accept the evaluation of NASBA.
- If the candidate is sure about the jurisdiction, then the candidate can apply for that jurisdiction through NASBA.
- However, if the candidate is not sure about the jurisdiction, then they can take help of NASBA’s undecided jurisdiction. NASBA then evaluates the transcripts and sends them across three jurisdictions as per the credits of the candidate. Lastly, the candidate can select one jurisdiction out of the three.
Let us now understand the steps to acquire the CPA license?
1) To be eligible for the CPA license, candidates must obtain 150 credits.
2) The candidates also need to meet the work experience criteria.
3) Along with this, candidates also need to appear for the Ethics exam.
Let us now understand the CPA eligibility criteria and books to be referred for the US CPA exams.
- CA/ ICWA/ Cost Accountants/ Management Accountant/ MBA in Finance/ B. Com graduates.
- People in the accounting profession who want to upgrade for the best career possibilities and opportunities.
The study material that is to be referred for the US CPA examinations are as follows:
- The Becker study material should be referred to when it comes to the US CPA course as it has a 90%+ passing rate. Becker has been an industry leader for more than 60 years, and the content provided by them is relevant and up-to-date, translating concepts into real-life examples. Not only this, but Becker has also prepared over 1 million candidates.
- If you are planning to do the US CPA course, then you must go for it without even giving it a second thought because CPA exams are now being conducted in India. Earlier, the CPA examinations were being conducted in the US or the Middle East. The best part is that continuous testing has now replaced the limited testing window model due to the ongoing covid pandemic.
So, are you now ready to begin and earn the most valuable credential? The sooner you start, the quicker you would be able to accelerate your career as a Certified Public Accountant. All the best and happy learning.