About CFA Program
- CFA Program is a professional credential offered by the CFA Institute (formerly AIMR) to investment & financial professionals and students
- The CFA Program Certification has three different Levels and the minimum time required to clear all three is approximately 2 years
- CFA Program charter holder membership requirements are 48 months of acceptable professional work experience and passing the Level I, Level II, and Level III exams
- Global Recognition: With a six-decade history of maintaining a rigorous focus on globally relevant investment knowledge, the CFA Program is the most widely known and respected investment credential in the world.
- Career Advantage: Employers recognize the CFA Program charter as the definitive standard by which to measure the competence, integrity, and dedication of serious investment professionals.
- Practical Skills: The CFA Program curriculum focuses on the practical knowledge and current real-world skills necessary in the global investment management profession. These skills are immediately useful on the job.
- Community: Earning the CFA Program charter places you in the company of an elite group of more than 90,000 respected investment professionals. Access to their collective expertise, networks, and resources is an invaluable asset. Source cfainstitute.org
- Candidates for the CFA Program include students entering the investment field, professionals increasing their expertise and marketability, and people making a career change into the investment profession from other disciplines. Source cfainstitute.org
- Minimum Eligibility: A final year graduate can appear for the Level I CFA exam.
- Minimum Eligibility: The candidate should be in Final Year of graduation to pursue Level I CFA Exam
- To get the charter: Four years of qualified, professional work experience, in addition to passing the level I CFA exam, Level II CFA exam and Level III CFA exam
- The curriculum for the CFA program is based on a Candidate Body Of Knowledge established by CFA Institute. The curriculum comprises the topic areas below, and there are three exams (levels) that test the academic portion CFA program. All three levels have a strong emphasis on Ethics, while the material differences among the exams are:
- CFA Level I Exam has a strong emphasis on Financial Reporting and Analysis(20%), Ethics(15%) , Quantitative Methods(12%), Fixed Income(12%) and Economics(10%)
- Level II CFA Exam covers a significantly larger syllabus and focuses more on Equity Investments(20-30%) and Financial Reporting and Analysis(15-25%)
- Level III CFA Exam is largely essay-based and focuses more on Portfolio Management(45-55%) and Fixed Income Securities(10-20%)
Level I exam is available in June & December each year. Level II & III exams are available in June each year.
|Level||Style||No of Questions||Duration|
|I||Multiple Choice||240||6 hrs|
|II||Multiple choice vignette style||120||6 hrs|
|III||50% essay type, 50% multiple choice||60||6 hrs|
The recommended preparation time is 250 hours for each level.
|Topic Area||Level I||Level II||Level III|
|Ethical and Professional Standards (total)||15||10||10|
|Financial Reporting and Analysis||20||15-25||0|
|Investment Tools (total)||50||30-60||0|
|Asset Classes (total)||30||35-75||35-45|
|Portfolio Management and Wealth Planning (total)||5||5-15||45-55|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. When can I give the exam?
A. Level I exam is available in June & December each year. Level II and III exams are available in June each year.
Q. How much are the fees?
A.Chartered Financial Analyst Levels I, II, & 111 : Fee (program enrollment + exam fee) is from $1120 - $1585, with lower fee for early registrations. Returning candidates do not need to pay the program enrollment fee.
Q. Is it mandatory to have a passport?
A.Yes, its compulsory to have a passport
Q. What is the Minimum Eligibility for CFA Lev I Exam?
A.A final year Graduated can appear for the Exam
Dec 2013 Level I CFA Exam
|Payment deadlines||Program enrollment (new candidates only)*||+||Exam registration**||=||Total cost|
*A candidate pays the Program enrollment fees only once.
**The exam registration fees also include the complete curriculum and one mock exam per level.
Q. Which are the exam Centers in India?
A. The exam centers for Dec 2013 Exam are Delhi, Mumbai & Bangalore.
Why Chartered Financial Analyst Program?
- Most recognized global designation for finance professional in the world
- Chartered Financial Analysts are regarded as an expert in finance by clients, recruiters and employers
- Especially useful in Investment Banking, Portfolio Management, Investment Research and Security Analysis